E-passports are the latest generation of passports that use electronic chips to store information about the passport holder. They are more secure than traditional passports and offer a number of benefits, such as faster processing at immigration checkpoints. Correcting an e-passport is a relatively simple process that can be done online. In this article, we will walk you through the steps on how to correct your e-passport online. We will also provide some tips on what to do if there are any problems.
Latest circular on passport correction – December 13, 2022 (effective)
Let’s first know what the latest circular on passport correction says:
- If there is a discrepancy between the information in the voter ID card and passport of Bangladeshi citizens residing in Bangladesh and abroad, the passport must be reissued according to the information provided in the national identity card (name, father’s and mother’s name, age, etc.). However, a birth registration certificate is required for minors. In special cases, any of the certificates such as JSC/JDC/SSC/Dakhil/Technical/Open University and equivalent can be considered. A written application must be made for passport correction. Along with the application form, the applicant must submit a declaration duly filled and signed in accordance with the sample displayed on the website of the department/concerned passport office.
- The circulars issued by the Security Service Department on April 28, 2021, December 9, 2021, and November 3, 2022, are hereby cancelled.
- This order, issued with the approval of the appropriate authorities, will be effective immediately.
How to correct E-Passport
Whether it is an MRP or an E passport, you need to Apply online to correct or Renew your passport. In the E-passport application, all the information must be given according to the national identity card. Since this is a correction or renewal application, submit the application by entering the information of the old passport in the “ID Documents” option. To learn how to apply for a new e-passport, visit this link: E‑Passport Online Registration
To correct a passport, you need to follow the following steps:
- Provide accurate information according to your voter ID card. In addition, collect copies of your educational qualification certificate, birth registration, Permanent Resident Card/ Student ID Card/ Job ID Card/ Driving License if you apply at the embassy abroad.
- Apply online.
- Pay the passport fee through a bank draft.
- Write a letter of application to correct the passport.
- Prepare a declaration – You must fill and sign the passport correction declaration and submit it along with the application form. Download – Passport correction declaration.
- Submit the application along with all the documents.
What is required to correct a passport
To correct a passport, you will need the following:
- National ID card
- Birth registration for minors
- Permanent Resident Card/Student ID Card/Job ID Card/Driving License if applying at an embassy abroad
- Educational qualification certificate and birth registration as additional documents
- Written application
- Copy of old passport and passport
In case of correcting permanent address in passport, your provided information may be verified through Special Branch and other intelligence agencies.
Passport date of birth correction
The passport’s birth date must be corrected according to the national ID card. The national ID card is required for the correction. Additional documents such as JSC/JDC/SSC/HSC/Dakhil/Technical/Open University and equivalent examination certificates may be required. In the case of minors, the birth registration certificate will be considered in place of the national identity card.
Passport name correction
To correct the name in the passport, you must show a voter ID card or a certificate of educational qualification. A birth registration can be given in the case of minors. The name and father’s name of the passport holder can be corrected.
How much does it cost to correct a passport
To correct a passport, you will need to pay a fee of minimum Tk 4,025 to a maximum of Tk 10,350 (including VAT), as per the new passport fee. No separate or additional fee is applicable for the correction. Only the passport fee needs to be paid by a bank draft for passport correction.
First, you need to get the application form or summary online. Then, you need to bring the summary and other important documents to the regional passport office.
If you want to change your photograph/signature in your re-issued passport, please contact the Embassy over phone to set an appointment; and follow the procedure as you would do during obtaining a new MRP.
To cancel the e-passport application, you have to visit the Assistant Deputy Director of the regional passport office. Your e-passport application will be promptly cancelled if you submit a hard copy of the application and the online application form to the Deputy Director.
If there’s a mistake in your name, nationality, date of birth, or passport/ID details, the carrier might not allow you to board. You might also face difficulties getting through immigration.
regular delivery: BDT 5,750. urgent delivery: BDT 8,050. emergency delivery: BDT 10,350.
Correcting your e-passport online is a quick and easy process. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily correct your passport from the comfort of your own home. Make sure you have all of the required documents before you start your application. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact the Bangladesh Passport Office for assistance.